返回列表 发帖

[分享] General Job Interview Questions I

1.1  Before starting job interview.
Find company information,  think about possible interview questions, practice, practice and practice interview questions, dress well and arrive the company half an hour early, shake hand,  eye contact, be polite and friendly. Some "break the ice" questions:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
a) How are you today?
I'm fine, thank you. And you?
b) Did you have any trouble finding us?
No, the office isn't too difficult to find.
c)Isn't this great weather we're having?
Yes, it's wonderful. I love this time of year.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Even the situation is negative, answer the questions in positive way.

1.2 The first question: tell me about yourself?

Four steps may need to be followed. Below is the example for a programmer job interview.
a) Brief introduction:
I have over 10 years  experience of computer programming, data analysis, web development and algorithm development  using C++, UML, CVS, OO,  Boost library, Python, PERL, R, MS Office, Shell Script, MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, MySQL, PHP and HTML/CSS.  I have extensive experience at  parallel computing, numerical analysis, stochastic analysis, software documentation, distributed computing, Grid computing, and web application. development.
I have BSc computer science.

b) Provide career summary starting from most recent work history:
Most recently, I worked as scientific computer programmer at the Division of Mathematical Modeling, Center for Disease Control at the University of British Columbia. I built software framework and computing tools using C++ , Python, JavaScript, PHP/MYSQL, Perl and Matlab for Greater Vancouver and Canada contact network to better understand  and control the spread of infectious diseases in Vancouver and Canada. I used  parallel computing, random network algorithms and numerical methods to solve disease transmissions and run large amount of simulation at WestGrid. I also did software documentation, debug, test, support, data visualization and  used JavaScript to develop online computational tools.

Before this, I worked as Software Programmer at the University of Alberta.  I Developed  data analysis framework and Grid computing tools  for  the large hadron collider experiment (ATLAS).  ATLAS  is a international collaboration containing 164 institutions from 35 countries and uses Grid computing to analyze huge amount of data. Provide expertise in computer programming and mathematical modeling  for the ATLAS group at the University of Alberta.

Before working at the University of Alberta, I  worked as Software Programmer at TRIUMF. I performed  computer programming, mathematical modeling and data analysis   for  the electron and proton collider experiment  (HERMES).  Provided expertise in computer programming  and mathematical modeling for the HERMES group at  TRIUMF.

c) Show some soft skills: I am a good team player, very creative and productive. I have great interpersonal skills, sound judgment, initiative and leadership. At free time, I enjoy swimming, hiking, spending time with my family and reading new technology trends. I am a webmaster of several computing Blogs and forums. I am members of several IT professional associations.

d) Tie  response to the company: I have a lot of expertise in    C++ , Matlab, scripting language , data analysis, statistics analysis, web  development,   mathematical modeling, new algorithm research and development. I am looking forward to using my skills to  contribute to the growth of   your company.

3. What is your long-range objective? Where do you want to be 10 to 15 years from now?
My long-range objective is to be an excellent computer programmer. As part of a team, I want to add value and continue to grow with the company.  If the company expands, my plan is to move into a position of responsibility where I can lead a team.

4.  What makes a successful team?
To make a successful team, each team member knows, agrees on and is committed to accomplishing a shared goal.  Each team member contributes to a climate of trust and openness,  identifies and corrects their own mistakes,  trusts and depends on the other members of the team.  Each team member communicates openly and honestly, values diversity as an asset and makes decisions by general agreement.

(Giving an example is important): During my working at the University of Alberta, I was part of  software development team in a big international collaboration, from 37 countries. We were working together via teleconferences,  weekly phone meetings, face to face meetings, emails and internal notes. We respect each other and work together to set clear schedule and time line. Our team finished projects on time and received excellent review from collaborations.

5.  What will your supervise say about you?
Due to my good work performance and nice personality, I have very good
relation with my current supervisor and previous supervisors.  I often contact my supervisors and have dinners sometimes.  If you ask my supervisors, they will always say that I am a good computer programmer,  great at communication,  always finish projects on time, hardworking, team-player, easy to get along and honest.

6. What books do you read for programming?
I read C/C++ programming, Matlab programming text books, Python, PERL,  shell script, HTML/PHP, parallel computing, Grid computing, MySQL and boost library online manuals, Linux system administration, TCP/IP network. I often participate  computer programming  discussion in online forums and participate MATLAB seminars.

7. Tell me what is your biggest achievement?
I designed software framework and data analysis framework for several world-class experiments such as ATLAS and OPAL experiments at CERN, HERME experiment at DESY. I wrote thousands of lines of C++ code and several manuals. My codes are still used by these big international collaborations for quest the building block of universe.

8. Describe a situation in which you have tight time line and now you resolve the problem?
When I worked as a software programmer at the University of Alberta, I am part of software release team. Each release has a tight deadline. I mad a detail schedule and discussed with my supervisor and colleagues. I worked hard and make sure each step finished on time.   I often discussed possible bugs and how to fix them with my international collaborators via telephone and email.  Searching through Internet sometimes also helped me resolve the problem. Finally I finished my project on time and got compliments in the Collaboration.

9. What would you do in the first month to establish effective relationships with colleagues?
The relationships with my colleagues are important. Good workplace relationships can help me do my job better. They can make going to work everyday enjoyable.  The first month is especially important  to establish effective relationships with my colleagues.
1) Learn from my colleagues. Be friendly, accept advice and get to know my co-workers. Understand company culture.
2)Respect my colleagues.   Don't discuss topics that could make my colleagues uncomfortable. Religion, politics and  sex life all fall under the heading of topics to avoid discussing with my colleagues. Do my best to avoid offending those with whom I work.
3) Practice Good Office Etiquette. Good manners are as important at work as they are anywhere else.

10. Describe why you feel your experience, knowledge, ability and
personal suitability make you a good candidate for this position.
(Read through job description. Match  your resumes to job ads)
本帖最后由 kindle 于 2012-7-15 20:05 编辑

16) How to handle interruption in work? Not all interruptions are negative. In our group, we always set up schedule via web before visiting. We encourage email communication and telephone communication. I always have 1 hour lunch time with my colleagues to decrease interruption in work. We exchanged  new thought in projects and new problem and questions during lunch.17) How to handle competing deadline?
I always create a list of everything that I need or want to do and try to make it as all inclusive as possible. I  ask myself how many things must be done right now. I rate the importance of each item relative to others in that group.  I often update and review the to-do lists and check if time-lines are met and possible improvement.

18) Describe a difficult stakeholder experience you had to handle.
When I worked  at the XXXX company, I have a co-worker in my team not following the procedure and deadline well, which affect the team progress. I realize that the good communication and open discussion are important. I listened to him first to seek understanding why he is behind the schedule. I realized his knowledge is the main issue. We modify the workload and job description for him. Finally we finish the project on time. All of us are happy.

19) How to handle conflict in work?

I always do not take conflict as personal. I respect my colleague's culture background. I am solution oriented and willingness to negotiate. In extreme case, I  ask a neutral third party to mediate and I am willing to back down. I do my best to minimize the impact of conflict and make work efficiently.  For example when I worked in XXXX company, blah blah blah ......
(give an example)
20) What skills and personal qualities have you contributed to the teams?
I have good communication skills and also a good listener. I am always willing to share information, knowledge, and experience. I always cared about the team and team work. I treated others in a respectful and supportive manner. I am also a good problem solver.
(Show an example) .......

21) You have been long time working in Academia, why are you looking for a job in industry?
I have over 10 years software programming, data analysis and management in Academia. I am seeking a challenge role in industry.
My computing background in research and academia will supply unique supplementary to your company. If you are looking an innovative, bright and smart programmer, I am a right candidate. I understand  you company are product-oriented. But adding research-oriented component in your company will be helpful for your company long term growing.

评分人数

• abcaat: 谢谢分享金钱 + 2 鲜花 + 2
I am pretty good on job interview.
返回列表