朱威烈教授在第二届亚洲-中东国际高层学术论坛开幕上的讲话

朱威烈教授在第二届亚洲-中东国际高层学术论坛开幕上的讲话

上海外国语大学中东研究所所长  朱威烈教授

美国海军学院会议中心

2009年10月16日

尊敬的美国亚洲文化学院院长马洛瑞•斯戴尔博士
尊敬的论坛美方主席安琦•郝博士
尊敬的各位来宾,各位代表,各位朋友:

今天我站在这个讲坛上,首先想表达的是由衷的感谢,感谢斯戴尔博士、安琦博士和美国亚洲文化学院董事会主席赵晓明先生,感谢美国海军学院中东与伊斯兰研究中心主任Brannon Wheeler教授和美国国会图书馆亚洲馆馆长Peter Young博士,感谢为举办本次论坛会议提供慷慨帮助的承办方和协办方的有关人士,没有你们在筹备会议过程中作出的巨大努力,精心安排和鼎力支持,我们就难以奢望能来到曾于2007年11月27日成功举办过“中东问题国际会议”的美国海军学院,能够首次与美方合作共同举办亚洲-中东国际高层学术论坛的会议,能够会见在座的美国和各国贵宾,并与美国和来自各国学术机构的杰出代表一起讨论、相互交流。这对我来说,是生平第一次,对中国研究中东问题的学界,也是一次极其宝贵的机遇。对此,我的内心充满感激,同时又感到无比的庆幸。

我从事阿拉伯语教学与研究已经40多年,担任中东研究所这一中国教育部人文社会科学重点研究基地的所长也已10年了。我每年都有过这样那样的机会去中东国家访问,却很少有机会与美欧或其他亚洲国家的专家学者交流,因而对今天这样的国际学术聚会一直充满向往。大家知道,中东问题实质上是一个全球治理问题——地区国家绝大多数是伊斯兰国家,中东问题能否获得全面公正的解决,既取决于这些当事国本身,也取决于国际社会的参与;既关系到当今世界最重要的文明体系之一伊斯兰文明体系的发展走向,如在全球化形势下核心价值观的重建和弘扬,社会经济制度的改革和完善等,也取决于西方文明体系和东亚文明与它的互动关系,特别是美国和欧洲国家对伊斯兰世界所采取的战略和政策。因为实事求是地说,中东问题大都是历史遗留问题,而且都关系到美欧国家的全球战略和重大利益。因此,从学术研究的视角看,中东问题既涉及到社会科学,包括政治、经济、法律、军事、安全等各个领域,也与人文科学有着密切的联系,即必须对伊斯兰的宗教、哲学、历史、文化、艺术等有所了解和理解。我们注意到奥巴马总统从入主白宫至今,已经多次表达了他的意向,如“不想同伊斯兰国家打仗”,“在相互尊重和共同利益的基础上,改善与伊斯兰世界的关系”等,这种“相互尊重和共同利益”,显然应该涵盖人文社会科学的各个方面。同样,我们也从以安琦博士为代表的美方合作伙伴为本届会议设计的议题中,看到了中东研究国际研究学界广阔的视野和对议题的准确把握,它们不仅回应了我们的共同关切,而且也有利于深化我们对中东问题的认知,加强相互间的理解。这让我很受鼓舞。因为新世纪的国际体系的转型和国际政治经济秩序的重建,都离不开广大伊斯兰国家的参与和贡献。对待它们,只能是尊重和理解,而不是敌视和对抗。至于对像我这样的中国学者而言,则始终认为相互尊重和理解不但是国际关系民主化的基础,而且也是构建和谐世界的基础,因为只有从相互尊重和理解的立场出发,才能形成平等的关系,进而实现公正、公平,逐步达到和谐的境界。

这个金秋10月我们刚举行了隆重而热烈的建国60周年庆典,我作为一名老教师,在节日里想得最多的,是怎样把中国特色的中东研究提高到一个新水平,怎样实现国际化,让中国的研究人员和研究成果走向世界。总体上说,我们的中东研究还远不能与国内的美国研究、欧洲研究等大国和区域研究相提并论。如果说中国研究美国的机构已多达数百家的话,那么,研究中东的机构大约还只是个位数。当我们在评论西方国家的中东政策时,我们也很清楚,国内对中东问题、对伊斯兰文明的了解其实也不多。当我们被问到中国怎样才能在参与中东热点外交的过程中发挥更大作用,中国为什么不能进入解决巴以问题的四方委员会等问题时,我们常感到难以回答,即使能够提出一些建言,恐怕针对性和可行性都还达不到应有要求。正因为此,我们能与美方共同举办今天的研讨会,不但是我们的荣幸,更是我们学习的好机会,我们会认真聆听各位的真知灼见,珍惜与各位同行的切磋交流;我还真诚地希望这样的相互交流、共同探讨今后仍将持续下去。

最后,请允许我再一次向以美国亚洲文化学院院长斯戴尔博士、安琦博士为首的美方各合作伙伴,致以最诚挚的感谢,向今天光临会议的各位贵宾和专家学者表示最热烈的欢迎。

谢谢大家。

Opening Remarks at the 2nd Biannual International Forum
on Asia-Middle East Studies

Professor Weilie Zhu, Director of Middle East Studies Institute of Shanghai International Studies University, Shanghai China
Conference Center of US Naval Academy
October 16, 2009

Respected Dr Mallory Starr, President of US Asian Cultural Academy,
Respected Dr Anchi Hoh, Co-Chair of the Forum,
Distinguished guests and representatives, dear friends,

Standing here at the Forum today, I would first of all extend my heartfelt appreciation to Dr Starr, Dr Anchi Hoh, Mr Zhao Xiaoming, President of UACA Board, Professor Brannon Wheeler, Director of the Middle East and Islamic Studies of US Naval Academy, and Dr Peter Young, Chief of the Asian Division of US Library of Congress as well as those who have been generous sponsors and coordinators of the forum. Without your extraordinary arrangement and great supports, it’s unlikely that we could jointly host this unprecendented International Premier Academic Forum on Asia-Middle East Studies. As we all know, the US Naval Academy successfully hosted “International Symposium on Middle East Issues” on November 27, 2007. Moreover, it’s unlikely for us to meet our distinguished guests from America and other nations here, carrying out discussion and frequent exchanges with experts and scholars from distinguished groups. This is not only the first time to me personally but also a precious opportunity to Chinese academia on Middle East Studies. Hence, I am deeply grateful and privileged.
    I have been engaged in teaching and research on Arabic language for over four decades, and I have been the director of Middle East Studies Institute, the Key Research Institute of Humanities and Social Sciences affiliated to China’s Ministry of Education for over ten years. Actually I always have various opportunities to visit Middle East countries each year. However, it’s quite rare for me to exchange views with American, European, Asian experts and scholars. Hence, I have pinned a high expectation on the current visit. As we all know, the Middle East issues are by nature the issues of global governance. Most of the countries in that region are Islamic nations. The overall and just solution to the Middle East issues is determined not only by those Islamic countries, but also by the participation of international community. These issues are not only related with the developmental trend of Islamic civilization system, one of the most important civilization systems, such as the rebuilding and implementation of their core values within the background of globalization, the reform and improvement of their social and economic system, but also related to the interaction of western civilization system, East Asian civilization and Islamic civilization, particularly the US and European nations’ strategy and policy towards the Islamic world. Objectively speaking, the Middle East issues are mostly historical problems, which are also linked with the strategic and vital interests of the US and Europe. Consequently, from academic perspective, the Middle East issues exist not only in the field of social science, including politics, economics, law, military science and security studies etc., but also in the field of humanistic science, namely, researchers must have an unique understanding of religion, philosophy, history, culture, art etc. We have noticed that the US President Obama has already frequently conveyed his wish that “the US has no will to fight with Islamic countries,” and “the US is willing to improve its relations with the Islamic world on the basis of mutual respect and common interest.” Here “mutual respect and common interest” should cover all fields of humanistic and social sciences. Judging by the agenda of this Forum, we have notice that, out American counterparts, represented by Dr. Anchi Hoh, have a broad vision and accurate understanding of the Middle East and international studies. It not only reflects our common concern, but also helps to deepen our understanding of the Middle East issues and strengthen our mutual understanding. I am here greatly encouraged by what we can accomplish at this conference. What’s more, we cannot go without the participation in and contribution of various Islamic countries in the transformation of international system and rebuilding of international political and economic order. We should only take the attitude of respect and understanding instead of hostility and confrontation. To Chinese scholars like me, we are always convinced that mutual respect and understanding is not only the basis of democratization of international relations, but also the cornerstone of building a harmonious world. By sticking to mutual respect and understanding, we can form equal relations, achieve justice and finally reach the goal of harmony.
    In the golden fall of October, we Chinese have just celebrated with great enthusiasm the 60th anniversary of the founding of PRC. As a senior university professor, what I think most during the celebration is how to push China’s Middle East studies to a new and high level, and how to achieve internationalization so that Chinese researchers and research findings can go global. Generally speaking, China’s Middle East studies are not as advanced as we wish, compared with American, European and other big powers, and relatively backward compared with regional studies in our nation. There are over 100 American studies centers and institutes in China, while its Middle East studies institutes are less than ten. When we make comments on west countries’ Middle East policies, we are clear that China’s domestic understandings of Middle East issues and Islamic civilizations are quite limited. For instance, when we are asked how China could play a more important role in participation in the solution to Middle East hot-spot issues, and why China can’t be the four-party commission member, we find it very hard to answer. Even if we put forward some suggestions, the feasibility might be far from satisfaction. As a result, today we have jointly hosted the symposium together with our American counterparts, which is not only our honor, but also a great learning opportunity for us. We are ready to learn from you, and we treasure the opportunity of exchanges with our colleagues and friends. I sincerely hope this kind of mutual exchanges and common discussion will continue.
In closing, please allow me again to extend my heartfelt appreciation to our American partners represented by Director Brannon, Dr Starr, and Dr Anchi Hoh, and to extend my warm welcome to all distinguished guests, scholars and experts.
    Thank you all!
返回列表